Re: [platform-debug-dev] Adding an Initial Debug Context

At this point (i.e. late in the 3.0 game), we don't want to get into the
business of a welcome page. I'd rather see the initial set of views in the
debug perspective be restricted to a minimal set: Debug View, Breakpoints
View, Editor pane & outline, Console.

Darin

Jeff Turnham/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/09/2004 12:57 PM
Please respond to
platform-debug-dev

platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [platform-debug-dev] Adding an Initial Debug Context

Yep good point about the Welcome Pages in the mutli-vendor case.   I think
in the case of 2 or maybe 3 vendors, separate Welcome Pages each getting
displayed wouldn't be too cumbersome (but that's definitely debatable).
However, since there is no way to know how many debug contributors could
be in a given solution then the centralized Welcome Page with extension
points sounds like a really good idea.

In an attempt to address the issue of the order of information in the
Welcome Page implying a relative importance of the debug
contributions...perhaps the Welcome page could be divided up in to
sections which each get contributed to by Debug Providers, so that one
debug provider's info isn't completely listed ahead of another?  Something
like:

Welcome to the Debug Perspective

Overview
        Debug Contribution_1's Overview brief description and link
        JDT Debug's Overview brief description and link
        Debug Contribution_2's Overview brief description and link

Samples/Tutorials
        Debug Contribution_1's Samples link
        JDT Debug's Samples link (if any)
        Debug Contribution_2's Samples link

Actions
        Debug Contribution_1's Actions (debug a compiled app)
        JDT Debug's Actions (debug a java app, goto the help, etc)
        Debug Contribution_2's Actions (debug a script of some kind)

I'm not advocating those specific sections, just the structure.

Also I was giving the "initial context" thing a bit more thought.    I
think that the functionality could be attained with the given extension
points.    The only change would be that the core Eclipse plugins define
and activate a context (something like org.eclipse.debug.initial) that has
no views bound to it (or maybe just the Breakpoint view if at least one
view has to be bound).  Then debug providers can just come along and bind
the views they want to show to it.    In the multi-provider case there may
be more views showing up than any one vendor wants, but that would happen
anyway.

Thanks...

Jeff Turnham

Peter Nicholls/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/09/2004 12:54 PM

Please respond to
platform-debug-dev

platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [platform-debug-dev] Adding an Initial Debug Context

How does the Welcome page concept work when there are several vendors
contributing Welcome pages and the debug perspective is "empty".  Whose
Welcome page gets displayed?  I think this is one of the fundamental
problems with trying to handle the empty perspective nicely.

The only solution I can come up with is a standard debug welcome page in
the eclipse debug core that had extension points where debug providers
could register a link to their "welcome page" or something similar.  This
way all contirbutors would be displayed via a single wlecome page and the
user can select a provider for more information.

Pete Nicholls

Mary Kroening <mary@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/09/2004 11:31 AM