Re: [platform-debug-dev] Adding an Initial Debug Context

Yep good point about the Welcome Pages in the mutli-vendor case.   I think in the case of 2 or maybe 3 vendors, separate Welcome Pages each getting displayed wouldn't be too cumbersome (but that's definitely debatable).   However, since there is no way to know how many debug contributors could be in a given solution then the centralized Welcome Page with extension points sounds like a really good idea.

In an attempt to address the issue of the order of information in the Welcome Page implying a relative importance of the debug contributions...perhaps the Welcome page could be divided up in to sections which each get contributed to by Debug Providers, so that one debug provider's info isn't completely listed ahead of another?  Something like:

Welcome to the Debug Perspective

Overview
        Debug Contribution_1's Overview brief description and link
        JDT Debug's Overview brief description and link
        Debug Contribution_2's Overview brief description and link

Samples/Tutorials
        Debug Contribution_1's Samples link
        JDT Debug's Samples link (if any)
        Debug Contribution_2's Samples link

Actions
        Debug Contribution_1's Actions (debug a compiled app)
        JDT Debug's Actions (debug a java app, goto the help, etc)
        Debug Contribution_2's Actions (debug a script of some kind)

I'm not advocating those specific sections, just the structure.

Also I was giving the "initial context" thing a bit more thought.    I think that the functionality could be attained with the given extension points.    The only change would be that the core Eclipse plugins define and activate a context (something like org.eclipse.debug.initial) that has no views bound to it (or maybe just the Breakpoint view if at least one view has to be bound).  Then debug providers can just come along and bind the views they want to show to it.    In the multi-provider case there may be more views showing up than any one vendor wants, but that would happen anyway.

Thanks...

Jeff Turnham

Peter Nicholls/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/09/2004 12:54 PM

Please respond to
platform-debug-dev

platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-debug-dev] Adding an Initial Debug Context

How does the Welcome page concept work when there are several vendors contributing Welcome pages and the debug perspective is "empty".  Whose Welcome page gets displayed?  I think this is one of the fundamental problems with trying to handle the empty perspective nicely.

The only solution I can come up with is a standard debug welcome page in the eclipse debug core that had extension points where debug providers could register a link to their "welcome page" or something similar.  This way all contirbutors would be displayed via a single wlecome page and the user can select a provider for more information.

Pete Nicholls

Mary Kroening <mary@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/09/2004 11:31 AM