[platform-debug-dev] Launch Configuration Dialog & Working Set Support

Early in the 2.1 development cycle, support was added to the Launch Configurations Dialog, to support working sets. I fell the current support does not play well, and I propose that we remove the support for launch configuration working sets for the 2.1 release. The launch configuration scalability issue should be readdressed in the 2.2 release.

Currently, the support for working sets in the launch configuration has the following drawbacks
* The support is hidden. To create & apply working sets, the pop-up menu in the launch configuration tree must be used.
* The dialog only works with "Launch Configuration" working sets. This is not immediately intuitive to the user, as the use may try/want to use existing "Java" or "Resource" working sets.
* The working set filter is applied globally, no matter how the dialog is realized. For example, if a user creates a launch config working set to display only "Java Application" launch configs, and then realizes the External Tools launch dialog, no configurations will be present.
* If a working set is created for a subset of launch configuration instances (rather than all instances of a launch config type), the dialog is incapable of displaying newly created launch configurations (as the new configs are not in the static, pre-defined working set).

Due to these exsiting problems (and the fact that the problems are not trivial to solve in the remaining development time), I propose that we remove the current support. As the support was not present in 2.0, I believe this is fair (i.e. we are not removing pre-existing support from a shipping product).

Darin

Back to the top