[platform-debug-dev] Support in core for passing IStackFrame to editors

Something that we are doing in our plugin that I have to believe would be
better handled in the debug core is passing around the IStackframe that was
originally passed on the ISourceLocator.getSourceElement(IStackframe).

We have found it helpful for the editor (or functions on top of the editor)
to have access to the original stackframe that opened them.    This allows
debug actions to be directed to the correct debug target.

This is especially helpful when different debug targets are active and they
support a different subset of debug function.   The actions in the editor
can reflect those of the originating debug target not just the one that is
currently selected.

One suggestion would be to create an IDebugEditorInput that extends
IEditorInput and can contain the IStackFrame (or even an IDebugElement).

If a model presentation returns an IDebugEditorInput on the getEditorInput
() call, then it could have the IStackFrame set before passing to the
editor.

Alan Boxall - IBM Distributed Debugger

Back to the top