[platform-debug-dev] (no subject)

We have run into some problems with source location w.r.t. debug adapters
that wrapper JDT.  One of the problems is that we may have separate dialogs
for different types of source that we pop up when source is not found.
Some of these dialogs we may not be aware of as we have an extension point
which allows other debug adapters which wrapper JDT to extend our
functionality.  So if one of these dialogs has a "do not ask again" button
we have no way of knowing if it was checked so as not to pop up the dialogs
for other source types.

One solution for this could be to use a similar mechanism to what JDT uses
for class files which have no attached source - bring up a page in the
editor which says "Source not found" and which contains a button which will
bring up the source location dialog.  This would also mean that the user
will not be bothered with a dialog unless they want to find the source.  If
this method were used by the JavaUISourceLocator then we could do the same
for our other types of source.

Another problem is sharing source locations.  Depending on the source we
may want to search the same source locations as Java (or some other
language).  This would be easier if there was a general concept of a source
location and an api in ISourceLocator for setting the source locations.
Even better if some of the source locations which could be general such as
project, archive, file system were made available for use by all debug
adapters instead of being specific to Java.

Erin Harris

Back to the top