Re: [platform-debug-dev] Default launch configurations for file extensions

Kristen,

I agree that we need a better way to specify file extension associations.  Bear in mind though that the file extension is the last technique used to try to determine a config type in the launch config dialog.  If the resource in question has a default config type set, that is used.  If not, if any of the resource's parents in the containment hierarchy have a default config type that is used.  Granted, plugins for different languages may not do resource oriented launching, so this may not help.  Please file a bug/feature request for this in Bugzilla.

Thanks for the feedback,
Joe

>I'm finding the method of declaring default launch configurations
>restrictive.  With compiled languages, it is impossible to predict ahead of
>time what extensions my launch configuration is able to support as the
>extensions are not restricted as they are in Java.  Therefore, declaring in
>the plugin.xml which extensions my launch configuration will support is not
>practical.  I've tried using *, but it doesn't accept this as a wild card.
>I can launch just about anything except for Java applications.

>I'm not sure what would work best, except letting a user define the
>extensions which can be launched with my launch configuration. Of course
>this is error prone, but I don't see another way around it.  Given the
>current layout, this would require an "add" button grouped with the "set as
>default" button in the preferences dialog.

>Thanks.

>Kristen Desarmo
>IBM Distributed Debugger

Back to the top