Re: [platform-core-dev] Hello platform team!

Welcome Michael!

Eclipse is a huge project so there are many different ways and areas one can contribute. To get you started here are some pointers to look at:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_contribute - A general wiki page on contributing to Eclipse projects
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/How_to_Contribute - A wiki page on contributing to Eclipse platform UI, although much of the information there applies to other Eclipse platform components.
http://tinyurl.com/eclipse-help-wanted  - A query of Eclipse platform bug reports with the "helpwanted" keyword. These are typically bugs that Eclipse committers have identified as appropriate for a newer contributor to get involved with. There are 1500 bugs in that list today so lots of ways to get started!

Hope that helps,
John

Michael Kokosenski <mkoko.eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/24/2012 03:12 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list."        <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev] Hello platform team!

If anyone is out there:

I came across your project while working with an SWT project where one of my UI's was blocking on a thread, and the internet suggested that I implement my project as an eclipse RCP application. I found the eclipse runtime projects, and was intrigued by the idea of contributing to eclipse, so here I am. I'm not sure I have all the "requisite knowledge" to start contributing right away, however I'm very interested in learning more about the java runtime environment. I figured that it would be awesome if I could both learn about java internals and also contribute to a project as big as eclipse. I understand that I probably won't be contributing for some time (still have a lot to learn), but I was wondering if you had some suggestions about where to start with the idea of eventually being able to give back to the community.

Thanks for any help!
platform-core-dev mailing list
platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx