Re: [platform-core-dev] How much memory can a Workspace take?

Hi Martin,
Could I get the .hprof file?
--
Szymon

             "Oberhuber,
             Martin"
             <Martin.Oberhuber                                          To
             @windriver.com>           "Eclipse Platform Core component
             Sent by:                  developers list."
             platform-core-dev         <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             -bounces@eclipse.                                          cc
             org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [platform-core-dev] How much memory

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse Platform
              Core component
             developers list."
             <platform-core-de
              v@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi fellow committers,

I got a report about an OutOfMemoryError generated during a Workspace
Refresh operation. When looking at the .hprof file with the MemoryAnalyzer,
it turned out that  pretty much all the memory was taken by core/Workspace
only:
      100 MB (53%) in org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace
      (occupied by ElementTree).
      52 MB (27%) in org.eclipse.core.internal.dtree.DeltaDataTree (this is
      a different additional DeltaDataTree)
      37 MB all the rest.

The workspace was arguably very large, but still I am surprised
   1. that the numbers are that large
   2. that in addition to the Workspace, there is such a large additional
      DeltaDataTree,
   3. that I see an OutOfMemoryError reported with 189MB total where I used
      -vmargs -Xmx320m ... what happened to the extra 131MB ?

Do my numbers sound reasonable, or could there be a bug that leads the
Workspace to take an excessive amount of memory? How much memory do we
expect a workspace to take for, say 50000 files? How much *additional*
memory may a workspace delta take that is generated during a Refresh? Would
any additional investigation using the Coretools make sense at this point?

I can make the .hprof file available on request (it's a 200MB ZIP file).

Many thanks for any pointers!

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm