[platform-core-dev] What's a project

Title: What's a project

I think that one of the points that came up in the Telecon today that we seem to be in agreement about is that we need to have a common definition of "what's a project".

I'm not proposing a definition here, as I think we have to make a "project" an extensible concept, so that one definition of Project can be applied to multiple types of projects (Java, C++, Python, Web, RTL).  I'd propose that we aim for Project becoming a base class, with a extension point, so that users will be able to extend the functionality of a projects.  I realize that there are a host of inherent problems involved with making this a reality, but I'd like to suggest that we at least try and come up with something in this area.  Similarly, I hope that a CDTProject might also be extensible.

Any extensible abstraction of Project also must address integration into the Project Explorer view.

There are lots of other things I'd like to see in Project, but they really are only useful to users such as nVidia if we can get at them to extend them.

Cheers,

Eric

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Back to the top