Re: [platform-core-dev] RE: e4 Resources Kickoff Meeting

Hi All,

I had hoped to participate in this call as an interested
non-committer, unfortunately we have a full team meeting today at the
same time.  I'd very much like to participate in future calls, if non
committers are welcome?!

As per Doug's question on interest in the future of platform resources:
I'm currently responsible for the Eclipse IDE and C related
integrations for a small team within Broadcom.  Currently we're quite
keen to have the power of Eclipse resource integration (local history,
team integration, etc.) with the flexibility of the visual studio
style arbitrary project hierarchies.  To that extent Serge's patches
go along way to making that experience better already!  Unfortunately,
as things stand in 3.4 platform, Alias management is a difficult
problem and near-impossible for integrators to get right out of the
box.
In my previous mail there were examples of things that go wrong.  Just
working through the CDT use case in the last day - build / edit /
debug (with 3.4 using nested projects and linked resources) I've so
far discovered many issues with Alias resolution:
Bug 247838 - Wrong file gets Error / warning annotations during CDT build
Bug 247851 - Can't set line breakpoint on a Linked Resource
Bug 247948 - Having hit a breakpoint on a linked resource, debugger
opens the wrong source file

Admittedly they're relatively straightforward issues to fix, but it
somehow seems wrong that by default integrators get the 'wrong'
resource when resolving external file locations to workspace
resources.

So anyway, I'm glad to see that Alias resolution is high on the list
of issues and excited by the other items! Looking forward to reading
the meeting notes and carrying on the discussion in the future!

Cheers,

James