Re: [platform-core-dev] Reuse registry implementation in 'org.eclipse.core.internal.registry;'

Hello Peter,

now let me explain why I would like to reuse btw. extend the registry
API for my purposes. I´m trying to develop a proof of concept:
Mirgrating an erp plattform based on c and odbc to java and some kind of
or-mapping.

The old platform uses 2 basic concepts: Masks and Formulars. Mask
encapsulate one the on hand the data model on the other define the
relation database scheme. Formulars contain the commands triggerd by
some well defined mask actions. Both concepts can be extended and
modified through a module compiler, which makes it possiple for a higher
level application to modify a field or an action of an preceeding
module. (for example: the crm mask extends the address mask). This is
done by a compiler. So if you change a mask, the application has to be
recompiled, application stopped, database scheme adapted and application
restarted. Very tedious and no more bareable in an enterprise
application!

So I came to the OSGi architekture in genereal and the exquionx/eclipse
plugin specially. I would like to use a registry in two places.

First a registry should keep track of all value objects bound to a
session. These registry will be needed to syncronize the client
application (should be a eclipse (e)RCP gui), to validate, etc.

Second I need to provide some mechanism to make masks, fields and
actions/commands extendible for other plugins. But I dont want the
plugin-developer to define an extension-point for every fragment of the
mask...

So I´m totaly disconcerted about to manage all things (and probably not
experienced enough). But I´m sure that equinox would be the absolut
right platform for such an application. Do you some advice?

Regards
---
Joachim Rosskopf

Am Mittwoch, den 12.04.2006, 10:13 +0200 schrieb Peter Kriens:
> Classes that are not exported are implementation classes and should not be used.
> However, the extension registry is intended to be used. So something
> looks fishy.
>
> JR> P.S.: Where is the right place to get advice for a design issue with a
> JR> sever side equinox/OSGi application which should contain of eclipse non
> JR> gui plugins. Can anybody help me.
> I'd gladly help out, just send us the design issues you are struggling
> with.
>
> Kind regards,
>
>      Peter Kriens

Back to the top