Re: [platform-core-dev] Problems with asynchronous nature of operations dues to the new Jobs scheduler.

Hello,

There is a lot of information available on this topic, so I won't repeat it here.  Here is the reading I recommend:

1. The best place to start is the Plugin Migration Guide in the help system (Help > Help Contents > Platform Plugin Developers Guide > Plugin Migration Guide.  All of these changes happened between 2.1 and 3.0, so you can focus on that part of the guide. For example, see Section 5 in the Incompatibilities section, called "Eclipse 3.0 is more concurrent".

2. Also in the Platform Plugin Developers Guide, under Programmer's Guide > Runtime overview > Concurrency infrastructure, there is a wealth of information on the new concurrency architecture introduced in 3.0.

3. An eclipse.org article on the jobs API http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Concurrency/jobs-api.html

4. Finally, this link collects all the documentation I know of concerning the jobs API and related issues with concurrency and responsiveness:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/planning/3.0/plan_concurrency.html

You are incorrect about IResource.refreshLocal().  Its behaviour has not changed - it still performs the entire refresh in the calling thread, and does not spawn any background jobs.  Maybe you are confusing this with the auto-refresh feature in 3.0, which does periodic refreshing in a background thread.  However, this auto-refresh has no effect on the behaviour of the refreshLocal API method.

"Goutam Chadalavada" <gchadalavada@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

26/05/2005 10:00 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list."

<platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev] Problems with asynchronous nature of operations        dues to the new Jobs scheduler.

Hi,

One of our products is built on Eclipse 2.1 platform and we are currently in the process of upgrading to Eclipse 3.1 M6. Most of our current operations assume things (build, refreshing etc) to work synchronously, the asynchronous nature of Jobs in 3.1 is causing us several problems.

Problem with refreshing: IResource.refreshLocal() now spwans a job and returns immediately before the refresh is complete, since the Job is not directly created by our code is there a way find out if refresh is really complete on the resource we are interested in?

Is a generic way to block on the workspace until all jobs launched have been completed?

Any help in undestanding this is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Goutam