Re: [platform-core-dev] New preferences API and event notification

Your summary is correct.

1). This is a limitation that we are currently looking at. So far I haven't
be able to think of an easy technical solution to this but I will
investigate further.

2). Interesting, I hadn't thought about the relation between the scope
look-up order and the change events. I will look into this too.

3). This can be added.

Thanks.

platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/10/2004 06:53:13 AM:

> It currently does not appear to be possible to receive events from
> preference changes based on a preference's lookup order.
>
> For example: given a preference with the lookup order "project",
"instance"
> it is not possible to:
> 1) listen on preference changes from both nodes by registering a listener
> only on one object, such that the listener does not have to deal with all
> nodes in the lookup order.
> 2) like 1) but additionally hide events on the preference in the
"instance"
> node *if* the same preference is set in the "project" node.
> 3) set a lookup order for a 'qualifier' (E.g., a plugin-id, see
> IPreferencesService) instead of a 'qualifier', 'preference key' pair.
>
> Some preferences in JDT/UI (like Task Tags, but also compiler options
from
> JDT/CORE, probably more in the future) can be set for an "instance" and
> selectively on a per "project" basis. In order to simplify the access to
> such preferences we would like to:
> 4) retrieve the preference value from one object, no matter whether the
> preference is set in the "project" or the "instance" scope . This is
solved
> by IPreferencesService.
> 5) listen for events on one object and receive only visible changes. For
> example a change in the "instance" scope can be hidden because the
> preference is set in the "project" scope. (corresponds to 1) and 2)
above)