[platform-core-dev] RE: PathVariableManager and friends...

Here is the reason we want plugin specific Path Variables.

Our data is used in a team development environment. When serializing our data, the absolute paths are checked for possible Path Variable matches. Any match will be replaced. Now if a developer has a Path Variable defined that is not associated with this specific application, it is possible that an unexpected match may be found. When the data is used by other developers, they will not have the corresponding Path Variable. Teams usually define a standard set of Path Variables for a given application.

Here is a simple example that may help explain the problem:

Team defines the following PathVariables:
        Here= C:\where\here
        There=C:\where\there
        Somewhere=C:\where\somewhere

Developer X has also defined
        Home=C:\

Now if the data contained a path, C:\Temp, when Developer X serializes the data, the result would be $(HOME)\Temp.
None of the other developers will have that defined.

If you made the UI more general that would be great. I think we just need to be able to group the variables as "global" or plugin/application specific.
        T.

---------------------------------

Can you expand a bit on why you don't want to use the existing path variables as they are?  If we can avoid another duplicate "variable" concept I think it would make for an easier user experience (there are already path variables and java classpath variables).  What problems would you see with sharing path variables with the linked resource mechanism? I realize the UI for path variables is currently closely tied to the notion of linked resources, but if it was made more general would it serve your needs?

platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/16/2003 02:12:37 PM:

> In our product, we need a mechanism that supports Path Variables
> very similar to the Linked Resources. However, we do not want to
> have our variables mixed in with the Linked Resources since this
> could potentially create problems for us. Ideally, we would want to
> use the  PathVariableManager, PathVariablesGroup,
> PathVariableDialog, PathVariableChangeEvent, etc. However, the only
> difference would be is that we would be able to store the Path
> Variables in  our plugin's preference store, with our own prefix.
> These classes are currently defined as internal, as well as the
> interfaces that these classes implement are tagged "This interface is not
> intended to be implemented by clients." Any possiblity of making
> this service available to other plugins?

----- Forwarded by Tony Niro/Ottawa/IBM on 12/17/2003 09:36 AM -----
Tony Niro/Ottawa/IBM

12/16/2003 02:12 PM

platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
PathVariableManager and friends...Link

In our product, we need a mechanism that supports Path Variables very similar to the Linked Resources. However, we do not want to have our variables mixed in with the Linked Resources since this could potentially create problems for us. Ideally, we would want to use the  PathVariableManager, PathVariablesGroup, PathVariableDialog, PathVariableChangeEvent, etc. However, the only difference would be is that we would be able to store the Path Variables in  our plugin's preference store, with our own prefix. These classes are currently defined as internal, as well as the interfaces that these classes implement are tagged "This interface is not intended to be implemented by clients." Any possiblity of making this service available to other plugins?

                T.

----
Tony Niro, Aurora GUI Services,
Rational Software, IBM Software Group,
770 Palladium Dr, Kanata, Ontario, K2V 1C8
tel: (613) 599-3947 fax: (613) 591-7027 cell: (613) 240-3622

Back to the top