Re: [platform-core-dev] Bundle of questions

Ed,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  We have been updating the story and I didn't want to lie to you.

With this in mind, we are moving the <extension> and <extension-point> elements into a new file called "eclipse.xml".  The top level element of this XML file will be <eclipse> to leave room for future expansion as this file really contains the Eclipse-specific portions of a plugin.  So, yes, the plugin.xml and fragment.xml files are being deprecated for 3.0.

Similarly, the plugin.properties file is being renamed "eclipse.properties".  It will continue to hold the NL messages for both the MANIFEST.MF and the eclipse.xml.

As with the vast majority of the runtim changes, 2.1 style plugins will continue to function and plugin.xml files continue to be read.

As for PDE tooling, of course we will be maintaining our support for plugin developers.  I actually do not expect too much change here in that the high level editor pages still show the same sorts of relationships.  The only thing that has really changed is the format of the stored data.  The source editor will of course need to be updated.  I'm sure the PDE folks can give you more detail there.

The new runtime does not force any particular functional changes on Update/Install though it does open up a number of possibilities.  Coincident with the runtime changes we are doing a number of things to make Eclipse installs more configurable and flexible.  You have seen the first steps on this with the move of the configuration information out of the workspace.   A further part of this is some work to separate branding issues from features.  This is still in discussion but should solidify soon.  In any event, no regressions or loss of function is expected.  RCP usecases are really driving us to generalize and open things up to more possibilities.

Jeff

"Ed Burnette" <Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/01/2003 02:12 PM

Please respond to
platform-core-dev

<platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev] Bundle of questions

The platform-core-home/runtime/adoption.html document says:

"The OSGi specification mandates the use of manifest.mf files to define the execution of a plug-in. This conflicts with the Eclipse notion of plugin.xml as far as <runtime> and <requires> elements are concerned. The easiest way to update your plugin.xml or fragment.xml is to use the PDE Migration Tool (PDE Tools->Convert to OSGi bundle).

"Current build structures (e.g., PDE, custom builds done by product teams, ...) are based on plug-ins, fragments and features. While the new runtime supports these components, it is bundle based. To support existing build structures we (and other bundle developers) must take care to include plugin.xml and fragment.xml files (as appropriate) for all bundles.

"By maintaining the plugin.xml content, tooling and build mechanisms will continue to function. As these are updated to handle the new structures, the need to maintain plugin.xml and fragment.xml files will diminish."

Ignoring the compatability layer, the way I read this is that plugin.xml and fragment.xml are being deprecated in favor of manifest.mf. Is this correct? What is the plan for the PDE manifest editor - will it be changed to edit manifest.mf instead of or in addition to plugin.xml for pure 3.0 and RCP applications? Can bundles be updated by an update site? Where does branding info go in the new scheme?

Thanks,
--Ed