RE: [platform-core-dev] Use of Eclipse plugin framework in pure Java applications

Martin,

> > In order to ship an application using WebStart, all content must be in
> jars.
> > I understand that putting plugin.properties and plugin.xml into a jar
> and
> > breaking the directory structure, e.g., a single directory containing
> all
> > jars requires some change to the plugin framework. Are there any
> fundamental
> > issues with the current implementation that would make these changes
> very
> > difficult?
> We used WebStart to deploy an Eclipse-plugin-based application.
> Therefore we build a special startup class that configures the plugin
> directory with the downloaded jars and starts the Eclipse launcher.
> Works fine!

Would you be willing to share this startup class under a CLP, Apache, or BSD
license?

I see the pros and cons of this vs a modification of the eclipse core as
follows:

+ No need to modify eclipse and repeat these changes for each new version of
eclipse until JNLP support has been developed in Equinox and integrated into
the main eclipse branch.

- Need additional security permission, even for applications that could
otherwise run in the default sandbox.

Regards,

Martin

Back to the top