Re: [platform-core-dev] RFC 0002 - .metadata under project content area

Jeff --

This now makes much more sense to me.  I was off on the tangent assuming
that it would be possible to provide shared properties in the repository
and have user-assisted merge on catchup.  I agree the problem in general is
quite messy.  I will have to grow my own support for my plugins but I can
place restrictions on this that make it reasonable.

-- Dave

                    Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                         To:     platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-core-dev-admin@e        cc:
                    clipse.org                       Subject:     Re: [platform-core-dev] RFC 0002 - .metadata under project content area

                    12/12/2001 09:14 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-core-dev

Just to clarify further, there are NO plans/proposals which include
persisting properties in a repository.  The issues involved are many,
diverse and subtle.  Basically it becomes intractable to allow multiple
users to update properties and then merge the sets of properties at release
time.  Of course, if the properties database is stored in the content area
then it is possible that someone could say that they should be released to
the repository.  This will however be a complete overwrite of the property
store.  No merging.

Jeff

                    Rodrigo_Peretti@xxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                         To:
platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-core-dev-admin@e        cc:

                    clipse.org                       Subject:     Re:
[platform-core-dev] RFC 0002
                                                     - .metadata under
project content area

                    12/11/2001 05:48 PM

                    Please respond to

                    platform-core-dev

That was not our thought when we proposed moving the metadata to the
content area. All of the persistent properties would have a unique
behaviour related to VCM: they could be shared or non-shared. We have no
special mechanism in mind in order to differentiate properties and I
believe the goal is that the default would be non-shared but the user
could change it if wanted.

Rodrigo

Dave_Dykstal@xxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx