Re: [platform-core-dev] eclipse as a general application framework

Thanks, Jeff and Nick. Now I think I understand your suggestions.
Basically, I can leave everything intact, but create my own domain model
and use the ui for presentation. As long as I don't use the "resources", no
information will be written to the local file system. This is good (I think
I didn't understand the relationship between the resources and the ui). The
only thing that might be missing is the functionality built into the ui
(jface?) that is tied up with the resources. I think I can live with that.

Thanks again.

shaohua

                    Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                         To:     platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-core-dev-admin@e        cc:
                    clipse.org                       Subject:     Re: [platform-core-dev] eclipse as a general application
                                                     framework

                    12/06/01 09:20 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-core-dev

Masn,

I recommend trying Jeff's suggestion.  Here are some concrete steps you
could try out:

- Open a new Resource perspective using Perspective / Open / Resource
- close all views in the perspective one by one
- choose Perspective / Show View / Properties
- choose Perspective / Hide Editors
- you should now have a perspective containing just the Properties view
- now pretend the Properties view is your database view
- choose Perspective / Save As... and enter Database as the name
- choose Perspective / Close All
- choose Perspective / Open / Other... / Database

Note that when this perspective is open, there are relatively few
resource-specific menu items.

Note that you can set up such a perspective with your own views using the
org.eclipse.ui.perspectives extension point.
For more info on views and perspectives, see the articles on eclipse.org.

My apologies if this is too simplistic, but I just wanted to make sure you
knew about the possibility of creating your own perspectives.

Nick

Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/05/01 11:58 PM