Re: [platform-core-dev] issue in RFC 0003: Log File Retrieval

Good question. In my current implementation, I just create an anonymous
subclass of Throwable that knows how to return the appropriate message and
stack trace.  This seems good enough for most purposes, but is a bit of a
hack.  If somebody tries to find out the class of the resuscitated
exception using getClass().getName(), they'll get a surprising result.

I'd like to avoid modifying the API of IStatus to accomplish this.

                    Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                         To:     platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-core-dev-admin@e        cc:
                    clipse.org                       Subject:     [platform-core-dev] issue in RFC 0003: Log File
                                                     Retrieval

                    12/06/2001 05:48 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-core-dev

When retrieving log file entries, what are we doing with the exceptions?
That is, the retrival API returns a whack of IStatus objects.  The IStatus
has a field for an exception.  I don't think it is possible to reconstruct
the exceptions in a way that would be transparent so what will it do?

One possibility is to create a new kind of status which has a "stack trace"
field containing an object representing the stack trace.  Might consider
making it recursive somehow to capture nested exceptions...

Jeff