[platform-core-dev] eclipse as a general application framework

Hi,

I asked the same question in the news group and was advised to direct the
question to the mailing list. So here it goes.

What I am thinking for is the possibility of using the eclipse as a general
application framework. In particular, I am looking for a feature that does
not tie the data model with the local file system. For example, say I have
a domain model that's been stored in a database. I want to retrieve the
information from the database, turn them into objects, and present to the
user, either for viewing or editing purpose. The object model has similar
Project and Folder concepts, but the File does not map to the object
nicely. In addition, when objects (folder or file) is introduced into a
project, the current implementation stores this relationship into the local
file system (.meta folder)(???), which is not desirable.

My question is, how to deal with this situation? I understand eclipse is
not design for this purpose, but is it possible to extend the current
framework to cover the situation? Ok, it's possible. How easy is it? I
really like the whole thing and I am willing to spend time on it to make it
work, if it's not too hard. If doable, where should I start?

Your help is much appreciated.

shaohua

Back to the top