Re:[platform-core-dev] RFC 0002 - Importing and Exporting Projects

Hi Rodrigo,
I'm not quite sure I follow. Here are some questions to help me understand the concern you raise. (thanks)

<RP>It seems that an approach having a separate file holding the metadata
dropped into the project content area can be brittle.

</RP>

<Greg>
Can you clarify what specifically you view as brittle is it:

1)  [my original comment]
        Always having a meta data file in a project brittle while it is loaded in the workspace.

2) [randy's mod]
        Keeping the meta data as is, but provide api to get it & create a project from it. The intent being an exporter would just have to call the api to get the meta data flattened, and conversly use the flattened to remake the project.

With respect to #1, aren't we already encouraging other components to store their meta data as files (vcm, web etc).
With respect to #2 it doesn't seem any more brittle than the original.

</Greg>

Seems very easy for
this file to get out-of-date. Having a single file containing resources +
metadata sounds more consistent.

<Greg>
I don't follow why this gets out of date easier.
Some observations:
*        If the export happens to a single file, then unless that file is a zip (for example) it means it is non standard (i.e. its special).
*        Whether the projects contents are packged into one file that you cannot see into, or into zip (using standard export + meta data),
        or into the file system it does not seem that the latter too are overly exposed to becoming out of date. The only wayt
        this would happen is if someone manually wacked it.
*        (related to the above) One could actually make an argument that keeping the existing export approach, and
        whether we use zip or directory, it means the UI for example could opt to optionally keep the export up to date
        without rewriting the entire wad. It seems like there is some benefits to the format we have

I think I'd go back to Jeff's view and argue - do we have to have a specialized "wad" export (for lack of better words) or is there some way to use our curent export strategies if we simply had more 1st class treatment (again not ideal words) of meta files.

I hope my questions are clear - I couldn't find quite the write words to express my thoughts.
</Greg>

"Rodrigo Peretti/OTT/OTI" <Rodrigo_Peretti@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/04/01 02:39 PM