[platform-compare-dev] Patching for eclipse updates

We're looking at ways to reduce the number of bytes being downloaded by the Update Manager for feature updates/patches, so we'd like to see if the current eclipse compare/merge/patch technology can be used for this.

Here is a scenario that we'd like to support:
We need to update a plugin that has changed in the following ways:
- file removed
- file added
- file has one line change
- jar file has one contained .class file change
- zip file has one contained file changed.
- we should run a "create patch" tool that creates a patch for the above.
- the update manager should be able to read a patch and apply it.

To minimize the download size for the above patch, we would like to, for example, not download the entire jar or zip, but only the actually contained files that have changed inside them.
Also, one of the constraints is that we cannot pre-req any of the eclipse UI plugins.
Ideally, we could re-use some of the classes that are already there, without having to implement IRangeComparator or other related interfaces.

I noticed that our CVS support does not work well with patching jars/zips, so I wonder if this is because our compare/merge technology does not support it or because of CVS limitations.

Thanks,
-Dorian

Back to the top