RE: [platform-ant-dev] HEAD dependencies are a bad thing

For the sake of archive readers...

Darin Swanson helped me figure this out last night. He keeps the following
plug-ins in his workspace.

org.eclipse.releng
org.apache.ant
org.eclipse.ant.core
org.eclipse.ant.tests.core
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui
org.eclipse.ant.ui
org.eclipse.core.variables
org.eclipse.debug.core
org.eclipse.debug.ui
org.eclipse.jdt.debug
org.eclipse.jdt.debug.jdi.tests
org.eclipse.jdt.debug.tests
org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui
org.eclipse.jdt.launching
org.eclipse.jdt.launching.j9
org.eclipse.ui.console
org.eclipse.ui.externaltools

Additionally I learned a few things (which I ought to have known):

1. Not every plug-in needs to compile--just the plug-in under development
and the classes used by them.

2. Commenting out code in a plugin's dependencies to truncate the dependency
graph is occasionally necessary.

3. A glitch on the file system can give you much grief. I apparently had an
undeletable garbled class file which caused every build to fail. A chkdsk /f
resolved the problem.

4. A real bone head like myself will create a shortcut with the title of
this week's integration build and use it to launch last week's build. This
little trick can keep you occupied for quite some time.

As to my opinion that "HEAD dependencies are a bad thing," it appears that
the consensus view is that they are a necessary evil. As they say, "you are
young, you'll adjust."

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement - eMeasurement Group

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@xxxxxxxxxxx