[platform-ant-dev] Ant/External Tools for 2.2

Here are a few thoughts about things we could do for 2.2 in addition to bug
fixes. I'd like to do the architectural changes; the features are just ideas,
not necessarily things I'm crazy about.

Architecture:
1. Rework plug-in structure.
  - Move Ant UI code to org.eclipse.ant.ui plugin
  - Move generic bits (like variables) into the debug framework
2. Create/choose an Ant model. We have a few competing "Ant models" in our
world. They should be unified.

Features:
1. Wizard for creating Ant buildfiles. We could do anything from simply
creating a skeleton that defines a named project and the default target to
generating templates for common scenarios like building, packaging, and
deploying.
2. More UI manipulation of buildfiles. Things like adding and removing targets
and tasks via the outline.
3. Add refactoring support for Ant. Rename and Extract Target come to mind as
valid refactorings.

Thoughts? Additional ideas?

- Jared

Back to the top