[platform-ant-dev] Apache Ant as feature

I am attempting to create a feature that upgrades the version of org.apache.ant from 1.4.1 to 1.5.1. Everything is working to automatically install/update the feature and the plugin. The plugin, itself, is just pulled from dev.eclipse.org's CVS.

Now the interesting part - I would like, as part of this feature install, to automatically upgrade the preferences of org.eclipse.ant.core to point to the new version of Apache Ant. Based on my initial research I have concluded that I should do this via the IInstallHandler API.

So I have a couple of questions:

- If I would like the same behavior, in addition to upgrading preferences, of the DefaultInstallHandler (*internal* package) do I need to copy it to not be dependent on internal packages?
- Why does org.eclipse.ant.core keep absolute location paths to Ant? Couldn't this be a variable so the org.eclipse.ant.core will just utilize the currently running version of the org.apache.ant plugin?
- How can I update preferences during a feature install? Is it as simple as 'AntCorePlugin.getPlugin().getPluginPreferences()' or will the install handler's classloader not find plugin classes?

If this isn't the correct forum for some/all of the above questions, your guidance in which forum to post is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Naresh

Naresh Sikha
Senior Staff, Technology Solutions
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
215 Fremont Street / SF215FMT-06-274
San Francisco, CA 94105-2306
W: 415-667-8071
E: naresh.sikha@xxxxxxxxxx
WARNING: All email sent to this address will be received by the Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. corporate email system and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.

Back to the top