[platform-ant-dev] Ant Editor

All interested,

The "Ant Editor" (aka "Planty"), is in the Eclipse M5 milestone build - thanks for the significant contribution (Alf & Bob)!

We would like to make eveyone aware that we may decide to ship the Ant Editor as a seperate plug-in, available from an Eclipse update site, rather than part of the Eclipse 2.1 SDK. This largely depends on how the next couple of weeks play out. We, of course, would like to ship the editor in the 2.1 SDK, as it enhances our first class Ant integration story (and lets face it, developing Ant scripts from scratch is much nicer with content assist).

Our hesitation to ship the editor stems from the following issues:
(1) The content assist implementation is hard-wired to a specific version of Ant (1.5.1 in this case). Since we allow any version of Ant to be used for the Ant runtime (via the ANT_HOME preference), this produces a conflict.
(2) There is (at least, not yet), any realtime outline reconciling - which is a standard feature with other SDK editors.

Since the SDK ships in many IBM products, we must decide whether these factors will cause us short/long term grief. Providing the editor as a separate plug-in for 2.1, and enhancing the editor for 2.2 is a possible alternative.

Darin

Back to the top