Re: [platform-ant-dev] fragment for regexp matching console

> we do not yet have approval to include apache's support in the SDK yet
(from
> the PMC).
Darin is correct. Eclipse 2.1 must run on 1.3. The next version of Eclipse
will likely require JDK 1.4.

JDK 1.4 comes with a good regexp API that would make the apache regexp
package obsolete. Including something in the Eclipse platform now that will
be obsoleted soon is unhappy. Therefore this needs good arguments.
Using regular expressions  for output parsing is a good argument.

Here is a follow-up question, given the hand crafted matcher only
1) which output formats from Ant tasks (e.g. javac, jikes, rmic,
javadoc...)
will be supported and 2) which output formats will likely not be supported
given
the lack of regexp support in the platform?

--erich

                      "Darin Wright"
                      <Darin_Wright@xxxxxxx>          To:      platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-ant-dev-admin@         Subject: Re: [platform-ant-dev] fragment for regexp matching console
                      eclipse.org

                      12/12/2002 09:55 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ant-dev

Yes - but Eclipse must run on a 1.3 JRE, so we cannot yet rely on 1.4
features :-) Thus, we are without regular expression matching.

Darin

   Matt_Conway@xxxxxx
   Sent by:                           To:
   platform-ant-dev-admin@ecl platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   ipse.org                           cc:
                                      Subject:        Re:
                              [platform-ant-dev] fragment for regexp
   12/12/2002 09:35 AM        matching console
   Please respond to
   platform-ant-dev

On 12/11/2002 09:49:05 PM platform-ant-dev-admin wrote:

> Just a note - we'd like to have regular expression matching support.
However,
> we do not yet have approval to include apache's support in the SDK yet
(from
> the PMC). The "StringMatcher" does not support regular expression
matching -
> just pattern matching :-( Thus, our less than optimal implementation.

And thus the reson why I used JDK's regexp engine ;-)
Actually, the zip file I posted was slightly screwy - here is one that
actually works.

Matt

Back to the top