RE: [platform-ant-dev] Xalan as a plugin and referencing plugins in a project

>I would create a shared launch configuration and associate it with your
plugin.

!!! This looks promising. Will look into this further. Thanks !!! FYI, this
will need to run on WebSphere Studio Application Developer 5.

>Might help to give us more of a context of what you are trying to
accomplish and for whom.

I am attempting to design a plugin that can generate an Ant script that will
automatically import hundreds of projects into a workspace (250+ in
actuality).

The projects are stored in version control in a format similar, but not
exactly like, Eclipse format (projects have metadata with dependency
description in XML format). Also, only a user determined subset of the
projects should be linked into version control - the remaining should be
local workspace resident to prevent inadvertent changes on projects
individual developers don't own.

So, given a user input list of projects I need to:
1. Retrieve metadata for each project
2. Generate Ant code to perform the import. I have already written a plugin
that exposes the following Ant tasks:
  - CreateProjectTask
  - DeleteProjectTask
  - OpenProjectTask
  - CloseProjectTask
  - ExistsProjectTask
3. Copy the source code as a fileset into a project directory in local
workspace.
4. USING XSL, CREATE .project AND .classpath FILES FROM EXISTING METADATA.
5. Using the above Ant tasks, get Eclipse to recognize the project.

Issues:
- Where should the plugin place the generated Ant script? I've theorized it
should be in a project the developer can see so, after generation, the
developer can invoke Ant on the script. This produced my question of how do
projects refer to plugins to obtain resources (the generated Ant script
needs to refer to stylesheets relative to the plugin).

- How do I provide modifications to the Ant installation? Even, if they are
just classpath modifications. I haven't seen a usage model for a plugin
who's sole purpose in life is to modify another plugin (my plugin modifies
the Ant plugin - xalan needs to be in the classpath). Perhaps a shared
launch configuration could get me going, but I need to eventually deploy to
WSAD 5....

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

-Naresh