RE: [platform-ant-dev] feedback

On the taskdef issue, try the XML entity without the "file:" prefix.

Roscoe

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Shackelford, John-Mason [mailto:ShacJo@xxxxxxx]
	Sent: Fri 11/15/2002 10:31 AM
	To: platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
	Subject: [platform-ant-dev] feedback

	Greetings,

	I am now running II20021114 and am impressed with the usability enhancements
	you've made.

	I really liked being able to set my own ANT_HOME in the preferences. When I
	set ANT_HOME to my own install all of the JARs in the ant/lib dir showed up
	in the runtime classpath window. Nice touch!

	I have had a few problems though. I should open bugzilla records for them
	but when I get some time but I want to send off my suggestions while I am
	thinking about them.

	1. When I go to Launch Configuration, assign select a build file--I like
	being able to select build files both within and outside of the workspace!
	Thanks!--and then on the Targets pane select and unselect the "Run Default
	Target" option every target in the build file is added to "Targets to
	execute area." When I first used this I thought that I needed to select a
	target and then hit "add" but this opened a second dialog. Perhaps 25899
	referring to this problem.

	2. Neither AntView nor the Launch Configuration seem to be able to resolve a
	task that is defined in an XML entity include. The task is defined via a
	taskdef line the build file and it runs smoothly under Ant 1.5.x at the
	command line. It is included in a Jar in my ANT_HOME lib directory which
	shows up in the "runtime classpath" dialog in Eclipse. Furthermore I have
	even added the the task in the Tasks pane in the Ant Preferences. I see this
	behavior with nearly twenty different build files. I am unable even to
	launch Ant targeting the build files as I get a message in both AntView and
	Launch Configuration which says taskdef class
	file:C:/esbe/build/build.xml:47: taskdef class
	org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.pvcs2.Pvcs2 cannot be found.

	I later discover that this was just because I did not add the .class
	extension to the name of the task's class in the task definition dialog.
	IMHO this dialog provides no real value and instead is a source of confusion
	and easily made mistakes. I'd recommend removing it. (This would address
	17782, 25652.)

	3. I did have Ant View lock up Eclipse me the first time I tried to open it.
	I haven't been able to reproduce this yet, but I'll work on it.

	4. When using the AntView property page clicks on the OK do nothing and the
	only way to close the dialog is to hit the cancel button or click the close
	window widget. I seem to be having trouble reproducing this now but I have
	had this happen on several different installs and on several different
	boxes.

	5. There appears to be no way to open AntView from the Navigator View.

	Thanks for your hard work on the Ant portion of Eclipse. You've made great
	improvements. I am enjoying Eclipse more than ever!

	John-Mason Shackelford

	Software Developer
	NCS Pearson - Measurement Services
	2510 North Dodge St.