	From: Jared Burns [mailto:jared-eclipse@xxxxxxxxx]
	Sent: Mon 9/23/2002 4:14 PM
	To: Roscoe M. Rush
	Subject: Re: Eclipse Ant contribution

	See my inserted comments:

	> I am in the process of completing a re-write of the plugin,
	> I am hoping to release this in the next several weeks. I think that
	> would be the logical code base to start from. In this release, there
	> is a combination of bug and feature improvements, as well as better
	> use of the eclipse UI framework.

	I took over for Simon in the middle of his rework of the Ant UI and External
	Tools framework, so it's probably for the best that you're not ready to move
	immediately. It's close to finished, but I must admit that the CVS was in a
	fairly bad state when I first started working with it (some things didn't
	even compile). The current version of the external tools code (which includes
	the Ant UI) is in the org.eclipse.ui.externaltools project in CVS under the
	"SA_NEW_UI" branch. I'm optimistic that I can finish Simon's rework and have
	the code merged into the HEAD stream by the end of the week.

	> A couple of questions on submitting code. What are the legal issues?
	> copyright, etc. What type of recognition is attributed to the contributor?
	> If I participate in further development, is there a gate/process for
	> prioritizing
	 new features? ........

	http://www.eclipse.org/legal/legalfaq.html

	I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of the situation is that you retain
	the copyright on all code that you submit and that all code submitted through
	the proper Eclipse channels (mailing lists, newsgroups) are licensed under
	the CPL. As far as recognition goes, your name should be in the copyright at
	the top of all files you author. When it comes to files that have multiple
	authors, I think we just list all contributors in the copyright notice.

	All outstanding feature requests are in Bugzilla under the Platform-Ant
	component. All Ant UI and external tools features have the keyword "ui"
	tacked onto them, so you can make a Bugzilla query that will let you see all
	open bugs of interest. Prioritization is controlled by people with commit
	rights to CVS. Until you get commit rights, you'd be able to increase the
	priority of a bug by making a suggestion on the mailing list. Generally, bugs
	are prioritized as they comes in and we try to tackle them based on their
	priority and what we're interested in.

	> As to features for a Ant UI for eclipse, so far the tree view UI approach
	> has gotten a lot of positive feedback. I have also received good feedback
	> on feature requests and have been working on including them in each
	> release.

	I really like the tree view as well and I definitely would like to have that
	in Eclipse. The only question in my mind is whether we would keep the Ant
	view separate or integrate it into the new External Tools View that Simon
	created. I've attached a screenshot of the two views open in Eclipse (you'll
	notice that I run Linux).

	By the way, it'd be nice if we continued this discussion on the
	platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing list. Have you subscribed yet? If so,
	feel free to reply to this mail to the list.

	Thanks,
	- Jared

Back to the top