Re: [photran] difference run-configuration and debug-configuration

There are actually two kinds of configurations. There are "debug" and "release" configurations (C/C++ Build tab in the project properties) that are used to specify how the application is built (i.e. what compiler options or makefile target to use). Then there are the "run" and "debug" *launch* configurations, which is what I think you were referring to, that specify the information necessary to launch the application. These basically refer to the same launch configuration, the only difference being that when the launch configuration is invoked from the "debug" menu it will start the debugger, as specified on the "Debugger" tab in the launch configuration settings. When invoked from the "run" menu, only the application will be run. The "Common" tab can be used to determine if the launch configuration appears in the "run" or "debug" menus (or both).

Hope that makes sense.

Greg

On Jan 15, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Arjan van Dijk wrote:

>A "run configuration" is typically used to compile the application
>with debugging disabled and optimization enabled. A "debug
>configuration" is used to compile the application with debugging
>enabled and optimization disabled.
>Greg

That would seem a good idea, but when I create a "run-configuration",
then it shows in the list of "debug-configurations" and vise versa.
Furthermore, I thought that, before I can debug a program,
I have to compile it with e.g. "-g". This switch is set in the Makefile
and I cannot find any reference to different Makefiles between
"Debug-configurations" and "run-configurations".
I thought that a run/debug-configuration was just a collection of
information for my executable (compiled with whatever switches)
to make a run: from which directory, with which commandline
parameters, etc.

Could you please help me once more?

Regards,

Arjan