Re: [photran] Where to focus development efforts

More than anything, I would like regular releases.  There have been a few showstopper bugs in the last few releases that prevented me from using them.  Having to wait months between releases to see if a particular bug has been squashed is terrible!  Nightly or weekly builds would be great.

Code completion (Ctrl space) would be nice, as well as more refactorings.  (Particularly extract method and change method signature)  I would also like the ability to highlight global variables.  Spaghetti code often makes heavy use of global variables and it would be very nice to differentiate between local and global variables to aid in refactoring.  Along that same line, I would like a refactoring to pass all global variables into a function.  If a function references global variables, the refactoring should modify its signature to include the global variables, and simply pass them in wherever it is called.  If a function now has a bazillion arguments, there could be another refactoring to convert some arguments into a derived type.  The refactoring would have to create the derived type, instantiate and initialize a copy before the function call, and modify the code in the function to use the derived type.

Back to the top