Re: [photran] Global Variables

Hi !

One of the handicaps we face is that the people in my group are not
Fortran programmers.  So, we don't use Photran on a daily basis.  We
need to find out what needs to be improved if we are going to put our
effort in the right direction.

I have been coding in fortran for some years now and I have been trying Photran for approximately two years, whenever a new version is out, to know if I have a good alternative to Visual Fortran before switching to Linux. I have had compilation problems especially to include external libraries such as blas/lapack or ACML, but the thing really stopping me each time is the debugger: I could never get it work and I even never managed to put breakpoints or watchpoints (under Windows/Cygwin). I read quickly through the final report of the group of students you had working on that but I never found time to try their version, all the more that they warned that not everything was fixed. => Please improve on dubugger and profiling interface. That's the real purpose of an IDE for me. Otherwise a good code editor would be enough (I have also been using vi on UNIX workstations then LINUX clusters for more than 15 years but prefer prototyping with Visual Fortran, all the more that it is much easier to learn for my students).

Anyway thanks for the job already done.

Cheers !

Michel

Back to the top