Re: [photran] When is refactoring inclusion planned?

I finished the refactoring and formatting engine several months ago; Spiros and I are refining parts of that and working on actual refactorings. Our undergrads are tying a simple Rename Local Variable refactoring into the user interface, which will be available in beta 2 or beta 3. Other refactorings will appear after we've convinced ourselves that they're robust enough to unleash on you. :-)

Just a couple of notes, so you know what to expect...

1. The refactoring plug-in will be separate from the rest of Photran, so we can release more frequent updates. Also, it will require a Java 5 JVM.

2. It does not have all of the nice formatting options the JDT has, and it probably never will. Instead, it will more or less preserve your current code appearance.

3. The refactoring component is a research tool. It was designed to be generic, modular, and (relatively) easy to understand, modify, and maintain. Efficiency is not a major concern, at least right now. It is a memory and a processor hog, and it can be slow. This is not because we are bad programmers; rather, Spiros and I total just one full-time equivalent, and so we have to make tradeoffs in order to keep moving forward. This is not an apology, just a warning... you might want to invest in some extra RAM and find some hobbies to fill the time while you're waiting on your refactorings to complete. :-)

Jeff

Back to the top