[photran-dev] Photran Project Status

(I am copying this to the photran-dev mailing list for the record -- Naoki and Matthijs (Fujitsu) and Jay (NCSA) are interested in contributing to parts of Photran.)

I promised to send a summary of where Photran is at the moment and where we should probably be headed.  Some of this is duplicated from a previous post I sent to photran-dev.

Here is what we're doing with Photran at the moment.
  • I am replacing our parser with OFP, the Open Fortran Parser (developed at LANL), and building the rewritable AST for it.  I will also be making several modifications for scalability.  The majority of this should be done within a couple of months.
  • Students in Ralph's software engineering class at UIUC are building a number of enhancements, mostly related to the user interface.  The class ends in December, at which point I will review their projects and decide which ones can be integrated into Photran.
I am still hoping we can have an "official" release sometime soon, perhaps Spring/Summer 2008.  Analysis/refactoring in Photran is largely still a toy... I want our official release to be distinguished by the fact that (1) it has a useful set of analysis-related features, i.e., it's not just a 200 meg text editor, and (2) these features scale for large projects.  I think we are actually quite close to making this happen.  Before an "official" release...
  • After I review the student projects in December, the viable projects need to have their code integrated into HEAD (and tested thoroughly).  There may be some conflicts (e.g., since several groups are working on editor enhancements), so this is more than simply applying patches, but it shouldn't be too hard.
  • The parser, rewriting engine, and indexer need to be scalability-tested.  Ideally, the OFP tests and several large Fortran codes need to be added to the test suite.  This could actually be done now, before I finish OFP integration; they would simply be testing our existing parser.
  • C preprocessor support (based on the CDT) should be integrated into Photran.  Again, this shouldn't be too hard, but it's necessary for scalability testing and for analysis/refactoring to be usable on real projects.
  • Photran's Managed Build System plug-ins need to be looked at; I think some of it still needs to be updated to integrate better with CDT 4.
  • I think Naoki had mentioned integrating Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran into the Managed Build System... that would also be a great addition before the release.
After the release, I will be focused entirely on program analysis/refactoring and Fortran 2003/2008 support.  There are lots of directions the project can head after that.  I think C/C++/Fortran cross-language issues is an important one.  We continue to have a slew of complaints about the debugger, but I don't have any sort of "strategic vision" for how to deal with those.

I sent an e-mail to Naoki and Matthijs earlier.  Jay, what are you most interested in?  Actually, any of the five bullets above could serve as a nice introduction to the Photran codebase... and if you're interested in working on C/C++/Fortran cross-language support (esp. search) longer term, I think there is a lot of interest in that.  Of course, if you have your own ideas, those are more than welcome as well!

Jeff

Back to the top