RE: [phoenix-epic-dev] FW: bogus rankings on EPIC

It seems that the ranking issue comes down to a fundamental choice:

1)       We allow anonymous rankings.  On the plus side, this probably means more voting and fewer inhibitions by the voters to express their opinions. On the minus side, abusers will always find a way around our defenses as long as they remain anonymous.

2)       Only registered users can vote.  On the plus side, there is full transparency – we can trace any vote to a specific user so abuses can be dealt with on a personal level.  This should significantly limit the number of bogus rankings.  On the minus side, users may be less inclined to vote for privacy reasons.

The rankings were initially identified as an issue when we transferred EPiC to Eclipse.org because Eclipse has a responsibility to be impartial towards its members and the community, a responsibility that the alliance didn’t have (although fairness was a goal).  Even if the realty is that we do an excellent job at preventing abuse, the perception of fairness is as important.  Can we achieve this without requiring registration?

While this is a healthy debate, we should put this to a vote soon.  I propose that we vote (via the email system used thus far) by Monday of next week.

Eric