[phoenix-epic-dev] Fwd: Re: Send EPIC rating ideas!

Some good ideas about EPIC rating from Eric Clayberg...

EPIC rating ideas:

1) Currently, plug-ins don't appear on the Top Rated list until they have 10 votes. That is too few votes and makes them easily susceptible to attack votes. I would suggest changing the requirement to a minimum of 50 votes (or maybe 1-2% of the plug-in with the highest number of votes...currently ~4000). That would have two benefits: 1) plug-ins would need to show a reasonable amount of popular support before appearing (10 votes is far too few); 2) once the plug-ins do make the list, they will have enough votes to survive a couple of "1" votes.

2) Disallow a single IP address from rating more than one (or two?) plug-ins with a "1" (or maybe less than "3"). There is no *valid* reason for a single IP address to slam multiple plug-ins with low votes. Alternatively, maybe disallow more than one "1" vote per IP address in a 24 hour period. Can we purge the database of IP addresses that made multiple low votes in a short amount of time? :-)

3) Currently, EPiC shows the top 10 plug-ins. How about showing the top 20 instead? That would reduce the pressure on lower ranked plug-ins to cheat.

4) Anonymous voting should be preserved as-is...at least for *external* votes. For anonymous votes internal to EPiC, either eliminate them or impose restrictions like no more than one vote in a 24 hour period per IP address. The voter would be told to register in order to make additional votes. This would make it much harder for someone to go to EPiC and throw multiple low votes at various plug-ins in a short amount of time (one per minute based on the current rules).

5) How about weighted voting? A single registered vote would count as 5-10 anonymous votes. An anonymous voter would be told to register to have their vote count more.

6) How about the ability to respond to rater's comments? It has always annoyed me that I have no way to refute any bogus comments made about one of my plug-ins. The 2Y site suffers from this same problem.

7) How about requiring that all votes made on the EPiC site include a brief comment? That would force a rater to at least provide some justification for their vote. I think the 2Y site does this. I would not require this for external votes.

-Eric

Mike Taylor
President and CEO
Instantiations, Inc.
Power Tools for Professional Software Developers

Voice: (503) 598-4911
mike_taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.instantiations.com

Back to the top