Re: [phoenix-dev] Home + User Page Prototypes Update

Title: Re: [phoenix-dev] Home + User Page Prototypes Update
Nathan,

The new pages look really good, but I think this must be backed with more changes along the level below – e.g. the projects pages and the pillars pages. Otherwise we are just delaying the usability problem to a subsequent page.

Also I think the new version of the homepage falls short in providing a good list of things that users and committers want to do. Ecosystem and members is great.

Users:  Beside docu, training and other stuff they are interested in the projects that are going on at Eclipse. This is incorporated in the users page, but not in the description of the main page.

Committers: It is not of great help for me as a committer to get to the projects page. Instead I would like to see a “what is going on” summary: Project proposals + reviews, upcoming releases. And shortcuts to things like the development process, ip (CQ) Faqs, maybe some of the latest newsgroup postings and bug reports.

Looking at the new community page:
I think it makes more sense to combine the pillars with the “I’m looking for” things.

First level (Pillars):
The Eclipse IDE (merge Enterprise Development and Language IDE)
RCP + Equinox Runtime (merge Application Frameworks & RCP ...)
Mobile & Embedded

Second Level:
Resoures moves down before training, the rest remains the same.

Then we should implement a consistent and meaningful landingpage for the three pillars.
I think it should provide a general description of the pillar, a list of the “popular” projects (plus a “more” link) and then some of the same stuff as I proposed for the committers page: latest releases and upcoming releases, latest newsgroup postings, latest bugzillas – restricted to the projects in the pillar.

The main projects page as it is right now is too generic to be really useful. It should at least include links to the pillars on the top.

Cheers, Jochen