Re: [phoenix-dev] Packages Page Source Follow-Up

Title: New Page 1

Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
Bjorn and Nathan, I appreciate your feedback. But you are mixing up different shoes here. CVS source code is available as well as the source of Bugzilla, Drupal, Mediawiki and the Planet Eclipse feed parser (including our additions to it).
Not the exact version of Bugzilla and Mediawiki that we are running :-) (We've hacked the sources of both of those tools a bit.)
BTW, I also don't understand why the EPIC source is also not public available. From my understanding it has been contributed back in 2006 including a set of initial committers to move the code over to Phoenix (http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/phoenix-dev/msg00392.html).
Because the EPIC source had some GPL'ed code and we do not distribute GPL'ed code from eclipse.org and making the sources available is "distributing".
I'm not asking you to go through all the administration overhead and setup an Eclipse project (well, we already have Phoenix) or go through the IP process. (Note, I've heard rumors that this was used as an argument before.) There are alternatives (like Google Code or SourceForge).
The Eclipse Foundation has no plans to use a non-Eclipse distribution site (SourceForge or Google Code) to distribute code.
Am I the only one thinking this way?
You're not the only one, but you're also talking to the wrong forum. The Phoenix project is an open source Eclipse project that contains the contents of the www.eclipse.org website. The Phoenix project does not contain the portal, live, or other eclipse.org websites. The decision to open source (or not) those other eclipse.org websites is, in the end, made by the Executive Director, not by the Phoenix project team.

- Bjorn
--
[end of message]

Back to the top