Re: [phoenix-dev] Open Source Web Analytics (Piwik) vs Google Analytics

Nathan Gervais schrieb:
- Piwik is very picky about the version of PHP which it runs on. This became an issue as it requires 5.1.3, whereas our servers use 5.1.2. This means that the Piwik Dashboard was only running on his laptop. Getting this working on our server and having it secure makes the webmasters uncomfortable.

Can the dashboard run on a different servers isolated from the main Eclipse servers? This should address a few security concerns.

- In order to measure conversion [1] on the site we would need to write some custom widgets / modules for Piwik that would allow us to track these metrics specifically.

Hmm. Not sure but that doesn't sound different from Google Analytics. You would need to put custom tracking logic all over the place in your site to eventually get the metrics you want. The metrics I saw on the Piwik page are similar to the GA metrics. By default GA doesn't provide a lot more metrics.

- At this point in time I do not think that Piwik is the right solution. Piwik shows promise and at some point in the we may wish to revisit its use.

We should get some common sense on how to measure what before we can start a discussion about a specific tool. It seems that some of the measurables can be measured using a whole click path (eg. number of clicks and time to get to a download) whereas other are as simple as number of hits (eg. edit a wiki page). But than it want to associate some context with specific measurables (eg. which wiki page belongs to which project). I don't see that GA can provide that out of the box either.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx