From: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ian Bull
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 12:18 PM
To: For developers on the new Eclipse.org website project.
Subject: Re: [phoenix-dev] Re: First steps towards a better eclipse.org
website

There is a recent discussion of the installer on the Eclipse-dev list,
and I was thinking maybe we can use p2 to help with the complexity of
our website.  This thread started because: "there are 10's of projects
and 100's of download options at eclipse".

I wonder if a standard installer can help here.  I know the current
installer is just meant to get a particular version of the Eclipse SDK,
but now with p2, it should be possible to have a 1 download solution for
everything at Eclipse.

The download would be an installer, configured with a "standard tab" and
"advanced tab".  The standard tab would have the different EPP versions:
1 big button to get C/C++, J2EE, Modeling, Run-Time,  etc... On the
"advanced tab", a user can pick and choose the exact packages they want
(and p2 can sort out the dependencies).

I am posting this here (instead of eclipse-dev) as I don't want to
derail the discussion around the shape of 3.4, and this is *not*
something to consider for 3.4.  But in the long term, if we re-think the
way we ship Eclipse it may make our website easier to navigate.

Just an idea.

Ian

Bjorn Freeman-Benson wrote:
> Ian,
> First, I just wanted to have parallel wording between the "users" and
> "adopters" - I (personally) think we don't give adopters enough credit
> at Eclipse. Hence my desire to see a parallel construct.
>
> Second, there's a different between "an information source" and "make
> it easy". Make it easy implies a more proactive approach: we could
> provide tools for projects that help the projects make it easier for
> adopters (e.g. a way for adopters to register the APIs that they use
> so that the projects know which are the most important APIs), things
> that aren't just "information"...  Anyway, that's my thought.
>
> - Bjorn
>>
>>  I was thinking my second bullet would cover this point.  The goal
>> being to be an information source for anyone to use and adopt Eclipse
>> technology.   Or do you think it is sufficiently different to make
>> them separate?
>>

> --
>
> [end of message]
>

> --