[phoenix-dev] Banners First Look

Phoenix Committers,

We have received the final bits for the banners that we plan to deploy to our web properties.  My first task is to fit this new header into our current Phoenix (www.eclipse.org) infrastructure.

I’ve spent some time with the HTML / CSS that we have received.  I’ll try to explain as best I can without making reference to the image I’ve attached.  Since these changes affect eclipse.org-common so I’d like to solicit the feedback / votes from the other Phoenix committers on how to proceed with integration of this new banner.

Old Layout

Our old layout used a simple structure to build a page. It started off with a header, which contained our header graphic and search bar, then followed with a menu each in separate divs.

      some code

      Some menu items

Accordingly our php logic for building the pages was simple.  We include header.php and then menu.php.  Simple linear includes.

New Layout

Our new layout is simple enough but the problem we encounter does not have a quick fix.  I’ll go over the markup here to illustrate.

*See Figure1.jpg (attached) for a visual explanation of the issue.

Every page in phoenix is generated by the $App->generatePage() function call.  This function is fairly simple in that it includes the header.php and then the menu.php from the according Theme directory.

Since the menu now appears inside the header we cannot call the menu after the header.php file has been included. Since then the <div id=”header”> would be closed before the menu would be included. This leads us to solution #1

Solution #1

This is my preferred solution to the issue.

In header.php we would start the <div id=’header’> and have it create the logo / navigation divs.  It would then end without closing the header div.

In menu.php we would then create the menu / search bar and then close out the header div.

I like this solution because it would only affect the phoenix skin and no others. It could lead to confusion if someone wanted to know how the skin works / looks.

Solution #2

In solution 2 we would scrap the menu.php from the phoenix skin. All of its content would then be placed into header.php.

Inside app.class.php in the generatePage() function we could put some theme checking so that menu.php wouldn’t be called if the theme == “phoenix”.

Nathan Gervais - nathan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Web Developer

The Eclipse Foundation