[phoenix-dev] Meeting minutes Tuesday, August 22 1:00pm Eastern

Who was there:

Nathan, Ian, Donald, Wayne, Denis, Mike Taylor

1. Status update on Q3 objectives (in bugzilla, Target Milestone = 2006 Q3):

Q2 Action items:
[Denis]: Ask projects what's preventing them from switching to Phoenix
-> This is in process

12669  Screenshots  (Wayne)
-> Wayne has created screencasts.  We'd need a prominent link to them.

108785 Documentation landing (Denis, Nathan)
-> This has started.  http://www.eclipse.org/documentation/

118472 List of committers (Bjorn)
-> no news

119941 Inconsistent date formats (Wayne, Nathan)
-> Wayne has created some functions that we should test on phoenix.eclipse.org.

120899 Mirror selection broken with MSIE (Denis)
-> This has been deemed a low priority.

123991 Local stylesheets (Nathan, Denis)
-> Phoenix already supports this indirectly.  Documentation is needed.

126096 Phoenix documentation incorrect (PDF/Xampp) (Wayne)
-> Wayne will update the docs to only list the components needed for a Phoenix test environment.

136420 Community portal (Ian, Nathan)
-> Closed.

122529 Top-10 downloads stale (Denis)
-> Wayne to revive the discussion in the bug. Some thoughts ranged from reducing the complexity of the query (site downloads only, excluding Update Manager) to renaming the section to "Wayne's picks".

131994 FAQ out of date (Donald)
-> Don will merge this bug with  new About Us content

134441 Error messages (Susan)
-> no news

2. "Pillars" of Eclipse.

We discussed ideas for pillars and ideas for a new home page redesign. It should include these components:

- prominent download link for the SDK
- Eclipse Plug-Ins portlet (provided by EPIC)
- Feature items
- Newcomer FAQ
- Easy-to-understand terminology

Remove:
- Articles.  New articles could be in the Featured Items
- Eclipse News.  This would be in the Featured Items
- Eclipse In The News.  This would be in the Featured Items

Ian to set up a Community Bulletin to request user feedback. Nathan to work on prototypes.

3. Landing pages

I brought up the issue of complex "project resource" landing pages, such as downloads by project, newsgroups, mailing lists, and soon documentation. The Resources page that Wayne is working on should take some of the complexity out of this, and we agreed that we need to focus our next meeting on expanding the project status infrastructure that was developed by Bjorn. We essentially want to track much more project meta-data, aggregate it to a database and create more data-driven pages.

Denis

--
Denis Roy
Manager, IT Infrastructure