[phoenix-dev] RC2

Phoenix committers,

Please read this long-winded e-mail carefully, as it will contain Release information and post-release maintenance information.

I browsed through the six sections of the phoenix.eclipse.org website. RC2 is *not* suitable for release to www.eclipse.org, and we will have a RC3 tomorrow, Nov. 29. Here is what I suggest should be part of our initial release, scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 30/2005:

Home: Yes.
- RC3: The Events calendar links to nowhere, and I think they should be fixed or removed. - RC3: Technical articles + symbol links to /articles, should link to /articles/

Community: No
- Getting started incomplete
- sideitem boxes in left column should have links similar to the Getting Started links on the front page
- too many pages linking to old-style content

Membership: Yes
- I couldn't find anything wrong with the Membership section

Downloads: Yes
- RC3: newsgroups link to /newsgroups, should link to /newsgroups/
- RC3: per project: Download word should not show when no download link available

Projects: No
- current projects section has many links in the left nav that have disappeared (proposals, provisioning, etc)

About Us: Yes
- many links in _projectCommon were using dots. These prevented the section highlighting from working. These were my fault, I told Mike to use relative paths. I fixed them. Sorry. - RC3: Press releases are under the left navigation of about us, but lead to content in Community. I think this is bad structure.

RC3 - Nov. 29 2005

We'll do an RC3 tomorrow morning to see what is fit for our intitial release to the website. I think that whatever is "bug-free" in RC3 be promoted to release status wednesday, Nov. 30.

Release information - how this will work

Because Phoenix contains parts of the actual eclipse.org website, files from the Phoenix repository will be moved to the /cvsroot/org.eclipse/www repository on dev.eclipse.org. This repository is published automatically to www.eclipse.org in the same fashion the Phoenix repository is published to phoenix.eclipse.org. This may be hard to understand. Call me of you need explanation.

!!!!!!! FOR THOSE USING WEBDAV !!!!!!!!!!!!
Directories that are currently being edited using webdav will be moved over to the Phoenix CVS repository in their entirety before release. The Phoenix release will obliterate any CVS-matching top-level directories on the website and replace their contents with the CVS repository files.

As an example, http://www.eclipse.org/legal/notice.html is *not* in the Phoenix CVS repository, but it will be brought in before the release. After the release, you will not be able to edit this file with WebDAV. I will be doing this today, so that we can test the files for RC3.

Post-release maintenance

After the release, you will be using CVS to maintain your pages - all of them moved over to CVS anyway. I will send you repository information after the release.

If you have any questions or comments, blast away!

Denis

--
Denis Roy
Manager, IT Infrastructure