[phoenix-dev] Naming convention

I don't suggest we have a very strict naming convention. Here are some guidelines that should help you name your pages and form your links:

1. Each top-level section (Community, Membership, Downloads, Projects, Reference & Support, etc..) shoud have a corresponding top-level directory in CVS:

www.eclipse.org/community/
www.eclipse.org/membership/
www.eclipse.org/downloads/  etc...

2. each directory should have a landing page called "index.php" which matches to Andrew's Information Architecture document

3. links should *never* point to the index.php files!!! Really!! Existing links that point to index.html should be rewritten to link to the directory instead.

GOOD: <a href="../projects/">
BAD: <a href="../projects/index.php">

4. page names should never have spaces, and you should avoid mixing capitalization (keep 'em lowercase)

5. links should be relative to the server's document root.
GOOD: <a href="../articles/">
BAD: <a href="/articles">
WORSE: <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/articles/";>

Some exceptions may apply...

6. links to directories should *always* have a trailing slash!! Failure to do so sends a redirect to the browser

GOOD: <a href="../projects/">
BAD: <a href="../projects">

7. URLs should use forward slashes, not backslashes
GOOD: ../articles/somearticle.php
BAD: ../articles\somearticle.php
WORSE: C:\My Documents\My Websites\eclipse.org\somepage.php

--
Denis Roy
Manager, IT Infrastructure

Back to the top