[phoenix-dev] Notes on using Phoenix

I've been using Phoenix to start the new home page and the downloads pages (http://phoenix.eclipse.org/ and http://phoenix.eclipse.org/downloads/ respectively). Here are some observations:

1. There's a bug (Ian discovered this) in the "phoenix engine": subdirectories of a top-level directory (such as /org/howtojoin) need to have the _projectCommon.php file. Two solutions come to mind - the "phoenix engine" can find it itself, or each directory could be considered a "project" with its own common values, such as a skin and nav items. We can discccuss this monday.

2. PHP makes things flexible. I moved the downloads page, which is mostly dynamic and database-driven, with little effort.

3. It takes a while to eliminate all the tables, tr, td and font tags to move it all in the DIV, h1, h2 and ul/li tags, but the end result is a clean page.

4. We need a visual template of what tags and styles are available, as well as names for the page components (midcolumn, homeitem, etc). Shauna is working on this.

5. We need a document that outlines the installation of the Eclipse plugins we need (PHPEclipse, XAMPP, etc) to get the preview working.

6. Ian and I agreed that "Project Links" should be a common element that we can include on any page. I'll incorporate this into the skin, and you'll be able to add the whole section in any page with one line of code.

7. I agree with the comments on bug 111001 that there is a bit too much purple, and I blame it on the left nav bar. I vote that we change the color, make it lighter, or make it look like Miasma: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=25710

8. Mike had suggested we should also have Miasma skinned into XHTML/CSS. I agree, it's a nice look and think some projects would like to use it. We should also let the community know that they can keep submitting design templates - we could then skin the ones the community like best and offer them to projects.

9. I need to put the "Phoenix engine" (the template.php, _projectCommon.php, and the eclipse.org-common/ directory) in our CVS code repository for everyone to see it.

Denis

--
Denis Roy
Manager, IT Infrastructure