From: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Denis Roy
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 3:04 PM
To: For developers on the new Eclipse.org website project.
Subject: Re: [phoenix-dev] Draft: Phoenix project page

Andrew,

http://eclipse.org/phoenix is the Phoenix project page. The purpose of
that page is to offer a Web gateway into the Phoenix project (after the
newsgroup and mailing list, this is The Phoenix Home). It doesn't need
to be innovative or extravagant, it's only there to provide information
on the actual project. In fact, if we change all the visual elements, it

will stick out like a sore thumb among all the other Eclipse projects.

I think we should focus our energy on the project itself, not on the
page that talks about the project.  Also, last time I checked, you are
an Eclipse committer and you have write access to that page.  Feel free
to modify it as best you please!

http://dev.eclipse.org/cvshowto.html

> Things I would like to see include
>
>    1. A project site that is not in frames and incorporates the
>       universal elements we have already identified.
This would be a good idea, but right now we don't have a CMS in place to

easily break out of these frames, and I don't want to impose PHP on
anyone.

>    2. The project background,  statement and objectives clearly stated
>       on the project home page

I thought they were, in the About the Phoenix Project.  How verbose does

it need to be?  If you send me the text that needs to go there, I'll
gladly add it.

>    3. Consistent Communications - the message conveyed is "are you
good
>       with graphics or website design?" The vocabulary surrounding
these
>       communications is very important. Our call for submissions is
for
>       skins or graphical templates. The phoenix project as a whole is
>       about website design, focusing on the information design and
using
>       graphical elements to support this.

We already have resources to focus on the information design, but we
currently have no resources for templates or skins. We have wire frames
and Conceptual AI documents that indicate how the information should
flow already, but we need to get some form of presentation layer in. The

UI is not the complete scope of the project, but it's the area we're
lacking right now.

>    4. A new navigation scheme for the our project that improves common
>       elements for all projects

This will be implemented in the CMS.  I see no need to hack it into our
project page.

> I do however like the use of icons. Are these all Eclipse icons?

These are icons that several other tools and technology projects are
using on their project pages.

Denis

> Andrew

Denis Roy