Re: [pde-ui-dev] API Tools: initial code added to the PDE incubator

Oleg,

To move PDE to a Bundle Devl Env we need tool like yours that can identify the interface of a bundle. This would have two parts: The exportable interface. This would be packages (of hopefully Java interfaces) that the bundle class files implement. The imported interface. This would be packages used by the bundle implementation or packages extended by its interfaces. Your current (or maybe soon) tool could then be applied to compare the asserted interfaces of the bundle to versions of API fixed by common assent, eg java.servlet.2.4. Also, the document you linked on the wiki page for API evolution explains API deltas but not "what is Java API". Actually what would be more useful is a few standard grades of API, eg pure-interface, interface with abstract base classes, interface with base implementations, and on down. If the tool could identify the grade of the API it would be very helpful. (I'm assuming an OSGi style for bundles will emerge based on bundles and interfaces rather than plugin dependencies).

John.

John J. Barton email: johnjbarton<at>johnjbarton.com http://www.johnjbarton.com

Back to the top