[pde-ui-dev] Problems importing binary projects. Please help!!!

hi,

i'm trying to import a jar file into eclipse. i created a
project and then tried to import the jar into that. however,
i am facing some problems and just can't figure out how to
fix them.

1) i'm getting a number of error messages. they say
missing required Java project: org.eclipse.ant.core

similarly they list a number of other missing Java projects.
i found out that these are binary projects that need to be
imported separately. i tried to follow the instructions for
this from the PDE guide in help. but when i import a binary
project, it creates a separate project for it and i get more
error messages that read something like

The project was not built since it depends on
org.eclipse.ui, which failed to build.

and similarly other error messages naming dependency on some
other project.

i seem to be going round in circles!

in the PDE guide, i was looking at Binary project self-
hosting under self-hosting. i was following the instructions
in that. there is one part where i'm not sure what to do and
don't know if that's what's creating the problem. it says

Before importing binary projects, it is important to
configure PDE for binary self-hosting. Since we will not use
external plug-ins to resolved references, we should disable
them in Preferences.

i didn't know how to do the above because i couldn't find
any way to do this in Preferences.

would someone please be able to tell me what i'm doing wrong
and how to fix it?

-vaishali

Graduate Student
Department of Computer Science