Re: [pde-dev] Discontinue API Tools ( was Re: What do API tools want here?)

I understand and agree that the current situation is unpleasant or better annoying.
Nevertheless we need some form of API tooling and I don't know if other techniques and tools can deal better with the PDE specialties like re-exported Required-Bundles (which is likely causing your issues)?
What would be the alternatives in this case?

In case it would require more time/effort to adjust the existing code base to the new tooling (e.g. remove all required-bundles) it could be simpler to fix the PDE API-tools instead.
Using Re-export in general is bad and I fully agree/support improving PDE's Import-Package support in general but since probably many rely on re-exported require-bundle that it will take some time and discussion to get rid of that and will probably not work until there is a equivalent convenient solution available (like automatically calculated Import-Packages)
But my blind guess is that other tools (probably from BND?) would also have their difficulties with that.

> as even the build-setup is horrible complex and hard to perform including calling helper mojos and ant scripts.

Since we are working on a API-tools plugin at Tycho, that problem should no longer exists in the not to distance future (I hope to have time to continue my work on that soon).

Furthermore I had the intention to improve PDE's API tools in the future with regard to detecting necessary version bumps in Features and Plugins already in the IDE.

That being said, if there is a 'drop-in' replacement for PDE's API tools I would not object to use that instead.
But I would not assume that such immediate drop-in exists, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Nevertheless, if a suitable library exists we could consider to use that in the core of PDE's API tools and add reasonable PDE specialties on top of that.

Greetings,
Hannes